Data backup and continuity must stay consistent even in the face of change.

Business continuity a must even in the face of change

Stephen Perkins

IT is in constant flux but how a department is contained cannot be, according to eWeek's Chris Preimesberger. Data centers all have their own unique technologies, as do companies these days, and he said this can affect business continuity since all of these pieces have to work together. Organizations must be sure they have a data backup solution in place that can take all of these issues into consideration and still work well. 

"The constant parade of new hardware and software that necessarily comes into a data center as applications, business requirements, bring-your-own-device policies and service-level agreements is updated," he wrote. "It all makes for a lot of moving parts that can be extremely difficult for IT managers to integrate in a business continuity plan."

Preimesberger said 33 percent of businesses do not have a unified disaster recovery plan that takes both physical and virtual servers in mind, but that still leaves approximately 67 percent with one. For those without this solution, this creates a dangerous proposition in a world where more organizations are using both hardware and software in concert with the cloud. 

Data backup professional John Maxwell told ZDNet contributor Dana Gardner that it has become a perfect storm in making networked systems more complex, as there are legacy pieces of technology being used with other apps, virtualization, the cloud and new technology that holds data. Businesses must keep this in mind with any solution they adopt.

Categories: Online Backup